[SOLVED] Proxmox fresh install on Huananzhi x99-QD4 motherboard & xeon 2670 CPU freezes at beginning

stajor

Sep 17, 2023
Hi everyone
I'm a real newbie in terms of proxmox/

I'm at my first install of proxmox on an x99 motherboard with Xeon E5 2670 CPU, 32GB RAM, 2 NVME, 1 hdd
Every component was tested under windows and it is working fine.

Now when I boot from USB stick with proxmox v. 8.0.2 installation program, it freezes after few seconds with multiple messages saying

[7.020937] clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc loading drivers: nuidiafb ahci nume mac hid umi i2c_1801 chci_pci xhci_pci efi pstore pcspkr intel_cstate rapl aesni_intel sha512_ssse3 ghash_clnuIni_intel pol yual cinulni crc32 pc Inul crct10dif pclmul kun intel intel powerclamp x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_rapl_common
[8.728430] nuidiafb: Device ID: 10de1287

Is it a known problem? Shall I boot with some specific parameter? (BTW how can I pass boot parameters to the kernel?)

Any hint will be very much appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-17 at 18.00.39.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-17 at 18.00.39.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 42
Hi,

[8.728430] nvidiafb: Device ID: 10de1287
Is there an Nvidia GPU installed in the system? These are always problematic due to the driver situation.

Anyway, in the bootloader, try instead selecting "Advanced Options" and the "Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset)" - this avoids loading any graphics drivers and thus you should be able to proceed with the installation.

I'm also trying to install ProxMox on an X99 board with a i7 CPU and attached RTX-3090.

My install stops at exact same place. However on my ProxMox install USB drive, I don't see an option for "Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset)"

All I see listed when I navigate to "Advanced Options" are:
  1. Install Proxmox VE (Graphical, debug mode)
  2. Install Proxmox VE (Terminal, UI, debug mode)
  3. Install Proxmox VE (Serial Console debug mode)
  4. Rescue Boot
  5. Test Memory
I do not see a "Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset)" option ???

Both option 1 & 2 end up stopping at about 8.5 seconds on the nvidiafb: Device ID: xxxxx.

I'm using the Proxmox VE 8.1 iso release.

My motherboard does not have a discrete graphic port, so I need to use a GPU to run the monitor. (I also tried an old GTX 730 I had lying around, but same issue.) My motherboard has USB interfaces but does not have a DB9 RS-232 serial port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

I'm also trying to install ProxMox on an X99 board with a i7 CPU and attached RTX-3090.

My install stops at exact same place. However on my ProxMox install USB drive, I don't see an option for "Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset)"

All I see listed when I navigate to "Advanced Options" are:
  1. Install Proxmox VE (Graphical, debug mode)
  2. Install Proxmox VE (Terminal, UI, debug mode)
  3. Install Proxmox VE (Serial Console debug mode)
  4. Rescue Boot
  5. Test Memory
I do not see a "Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset)" option ???

Both option 1 & 2 end up stopping at about 8.5 seconds on the nvidiafb: Device ID: xxxxx.

I'm using the Proxmox VE 8.1 iso release.

My motherboard does not have a discrete graphic port, so I need to use a GPU to run the monitor. (I also tried an old GTX 730 I had lying around, but same issue.) My motherboard has USB interfaces but does not have a DB9 RS-232 serial port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

This option - Install Proxmox VE (Console Mode - nomodeset) in 8.0 version
My case is also similar

Same problem with huananzhi x99 f8d plus, 2 xeon e5-2699v4, and nvidia 3090. Proxmox VE 8.2 installation stucks on nvidia driver.
Here topic marked as SOLVED but I don't see any solution.
I have to try install debian 12 first, and then proxmox.

I already reinstalled it this way, with nomodeset option, and it works fine. Thanks.

I already reinstalled it this way, with nomodeset option, and it works fine. Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback, it's interesting, I was under the impression that where the installer struggles with KMS, it then installs the base system with the same issue, apparently not always.

Last edited:
First, good that you got it working!

Not really, tried it with your hardware? I think you will manage to proceed with the installation and then it will drop you on first reboot, so back to the forum.
yes, when installing on Debian, after changing the kernel, the first boot froze. I had to return into BIOS and disable the video card, boot headless, connect via ssh and continue configuring proxmox, after update everything worked, I turned on the video card and it worked.
But installation from an iso image with the nomodeset option worked without any problems at all. ))

Code:
root@pve1:~# lspci -k | grep -A 3 "VGA"
83:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA102 [GeForce RTX 3090] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: CardExpert Technology GA102 [GeForce RTX 3090]
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau

after changing the kernel, the first boot froze. I had to return into BIOS and disable the video card, boot headless, connect via ssh and continue configuring proxmox, after update everything worked, I turned on the video card and it worked.
But installation from an iso image with the nomodeset option worked without any problems at all. ))

THIS! :D

BTW You should have been able to boot with (manually edit) extra kernel param too.

Code:
root@pve1:~# lspci -k | grep -A 3 "VGA"
83:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA102 [GeForce RTX 3090] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: CardExpert Technology GA102 [GeForce RTX 3090]
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau

Thanks for confirming. Yes I think the installer is terrible. But I also wish threads like this to have actually the full solution in it at the end (it's easier to point the next person to this last part;)).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!