Proxmox failed to boot after updating to kernel 6.8.8-2-pve

brasovanuf

Dec 24, 2022
Hello,
I'm having trouble too boot into proxmox after I updated to the latest kernel available, from: 6.2.16-20-pve to 6.8.8-2-pve

I managed to run and pin the previous version 6.2.16-20-pve which works perfectly.

My question is how to remove first and then retry to install the version 6.8.8-2-pve ?

Code:
root@proxmox-server:/etc/kernel# proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.

Automatically selected kernels:
6.2.16-20-pve
6.8.8-2-pve

Pinned kernel:
6.2.16-20-pve
root@proxmox-server:/etc/kernel# proxmox-boot-tool kernel remove 6.8.8-2-pve
Kernel '6.8.8-2-pve' not found in manual kernel list.

There have been other reports of problems with the newest kernels. Just reinstalling you might end up with the same issue.

You can google how to remove kernels in proxmox and find out how to remove it using dpkg and apt.

Then you might want to search the forum and read about what issues people are having with 6.8.x. It might be better to install the 6.5 kernel and try that first. I don't think there were any atypical problem reports with that kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!