Proxmox DHCP

Zer0

Sep 30, 2018
Hi, I'm using OVH and trying to setup DHCP to work. It installed fine but there's nothing I can do to make it start:

root@nsXXX:~# systemctl restart isc-dhcp-server
Job for isc-dhcp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Running systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service:
Code:
Job for isc-dhcp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
root@nsXX:~# systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service
● isc-dhcp-server.service - LSB: DHCP server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-10-02 15:55:48 UTC; 7s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 12062 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 11.1M
      CPU: 16ms
   CGroup: /system.slice/isc-dhcp-server.service
           └─26192 /usr/sbin/dhcpd -4 -q -cf /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX systemd[1]: Starting LSB: DHCP server...
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX isc-dhcp-server[12062]: Launching both IPv4 and IPv6 servers (please c
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX dhcpd[12073]: WARNING: Host declarations are global.  They are not lim
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX isc-dhcp-server[12062]: Starting ISC DHCPv4 server: dhcpddhcpd service
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX systemd[1]: isc-dhcp-server.service: Control process exited, code=exit
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: DHCP server.
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX systemd[1]: isc-dhcp-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Oct 02 15:55:48 nsXX systemd[1]: isc-dhcp-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I have interface set to vmbr0. After the default configuration not working I tried other posts including this one: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/125165/assign-static-ips-to-kvm-vps-in-proxmox-using-dhcp. I'm very frustrated that nothing is working. If anyone can offer guidance on this I'd really appreciate that. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm using OVH and trying to setup DHCP to work. It installed fine but there's nothing I can do to make it start:

Running systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service:
Code:
root@nsXX:~# systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service
● isc-dhcp-server.service - LSB: DHCP server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-10-02 15:55:48 UTC; 7s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 12062 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 11.1M
      CPU: 16ms
   CGroup: /system.slice/isc-dhcp-server.service
           └─26192 /usr/sbin/dhcpd -4 -q -cf /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf

Does not count - important is what

Code:
 netstat -tulpn | grep 67

reports. The result should contain a line like
Code:
udp    10880      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*                           5259/dhcpd

If yes, DHCP service is active.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!