Proxmox crashes while moving VM's disk between different storages

logui

Feb 22, 2024
I am doing VM -> Hardware -> Hard Disk -> Disk Action -> Move Storage, I am moving a VM's disk from NFS storage within a TrueNAS server to a local storage in one of the nodes in the cluster, this is a lab environment, with 2 nodes, and nothing else is going on while doing the disk move.

In the middle of the move process, the Proxmox node receiving the disk from the TrueNAS server, will crash, the VM who owns the disk, is also running in the same node.

I have tried with the VM online/offline, about 5 times, the Proxmox's node always crashes, I am running the latest version of it. I can migrate VMs online/offline with their disks in the TrueNAS server, between nodes in the cluster, reliable without any problem, it's just the Disk move that is crashing.

Any idea what could be causing this problem? Thank you

In general a pve cluster has at least 3 nodes or with a trick 2 nodes and a Q-device otherwise with 2 nodes reboots are common when joined.
For testing purposes "dd" the problem vm to /dev/null to get aware of read errors. In second step try to dd to your local storage BUT BE TOTALLY AWARE TO NOT DELETE OTHER (or backup that before if doing any wrong) testing for write errors.

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!