[SOLVED] Proxmox Backup + tailscale = proxmox-backup-proxy.service won't boot

latenightcat

Aug 22, 2024
I've installed tailscale on my proxmox backup vm, along with a cronjob to update the certificate files daily... or so I thought.

/etc/cron.daily/tailscale_cert
Bash:
#!/bin/sh
tailscale cert --cert-file /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem --key-file /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key $(hostname -f) && systemctl reload proxmox-backup-proxy

However, I noticed that my proxmox server was complaining it couldn't reach the backup server. I gave the VM a reboot, no luck. Afterwards I logged onto it and found that proxmox-backup-proxy.service isn't running.

The error seems to be indicating that there's some SSL issue here, but I'm unsure what it is. Perhaps it doesn't like that tailscale generates EC keys?

Code:
░░ Subject: A start job for unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has begun execution
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
░░
░░ A start job for unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has begun execution.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 3889.
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]: apply old journal log rrd.journal-669a4d10
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]: Error: failed to set tls acceptor private key file
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]: Caused by:
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]:     error:8000000D:system library:file_ctrl:reason(2):../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:297:calling fopen(/etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key, r), error:10080002:BIO routines:file_ctrl:system lib:../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:300:,  error:0A080002:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:system lib:../ssl/ssl_rsa.c:367:
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

How can I get this to work so that proxmox backups work, with a tailscale generated certificate?

Hi!
the error looks cut off, could you post the full one (using e.g. journalctl)? You can also check the /etc/proxmox-backup directory if the two files exist and have the correct permissions.

Hi!
the error looks cut off, could you post the full one (using e.g. journalctl)? You can also check the /etc/proxmox-backup directory if the two files exist and have the correct permissions.

Its not cut off, here's a few more lines for evidence:

Code:
░░ Subject: A start job for unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has begun execution
░░
░░ A start job for unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has begun execution.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 3889.
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]: apply old journal log rrd.journal-669a4d10
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]: Error: failed to set tls acceptor private key file
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]: Caused by:
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[22568]:     error:8000000D:system library:file_ctrl:reason(2):../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:297:
calling fopen(/etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key, r), error:10080002:BIO routines:file_ctrl:system lib:../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:300:, err
or:0A080002:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:system lib:../ssl/ssl_rsa.c:367:
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 1.
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░
░░ The unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs systemd[1]: Failed to start proxmox-backup-proxy.service - Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has failed
░░
░░ A start job for unit proxmox-backup-proxy.service has finished with a failure.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 3889 and the job result is failed.
Aug 21 23:35:57 pbs systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.

As for correct permissions - these files were owned by root:root, I changed to backup:backup and that did work.

Good news for anyone else finding this thread, but I would propose this as an additional check for proxmox-backup to perform, and create a clearer error message for.

And for anyone in the future doing this setup, here's the new /etc/cron.daily/tailscale_cert script (remember to chmod +x it!)

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
tailscale cert --cert-file /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem --key-file /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key $(hostname -f) && \
chown backup:backup /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.pem /etc/proxmox-backup/proxy.key && \
systemctl reload proxmox-backup-proxy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!