Proxmox as Smarthost for Exchange 2016

alep11

Jul 18, 2022
Hi,
I have recently started learning PMG and would like to use it as a smarthost for an Exchange 2016 (lab environment not production). I have configured a new send connector on Exchange side to use alternate SMTP port 26 and also set proper firewall rules in place. I also have my subnet configured under Trusted Networks for ProxMox and have whitelisted my sending domains which I don't think is really necessary but . . .

It appears emails are making to PMG but not going out to the internet - at least that's how I am interpreting after checking tracking center they are all under queued/deferred status.

I have static IP with all the proper DNS records and can confirm emails were flowing properly before PMG. Wham am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• prox1.PNG
    prox1.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 17
  • prox2.PNG
    prox2.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 17
Did you test if you can ping external hosts from the PMG instance? If so, try if you can open port 25 on an external mail server to make sure, there is no firewall in the way.
Code:
nc -z <id> 25
It will return right away without any error if it is able to connect.

Reactions: alep11
Did you test if you can ping external hosts from the PMG instance? If so, try if you can open port 25 on an external mail server to make sure, there is no firewall in the way.
Code:
nc -z <id> 25
It will return right away without any error if it is able to connect.
spot on Aaron! After revisiting my firewall rules I realized port 25 was still being blocked. Thank You :)

on a different thread, is there a way to omit internal header information, more specifically my internal FQDN on 220 and 250? Hide internal hosts option is set to Yes. When I perform a test email server using MX toolbox
Thank You.

Last edited:
Is there something missing in your last question? Also, please open a new thread since this is a different topic :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!