Proxmox Android - How to use noVNC console (New here)

Linux.Dizzy

Apr 22, 2024
Hello,
New arrival here. Actually, new to Linux entirely- and yes I'm aware, we are hard to deal with ha.
So, I've been doing a lot of reading at the wiki and especially here, and just checking some things out.
(It's crazy how I can waste 2 hours(no joke) looking for correct commands and what they mean, just to do some things that are so simple and miniscule. It feels like I'm trudging through mud and when I look back, I see I've only made it a few feet lol)

Yesterday I just found the android app, nice(Mobile browser works well too! Even desktop mode inside mobile browser formats well and is totally usable if in portrait mode.)

It's really nice too see projects like this.

Anyway, I'll keep this short.

Question:
Is there anything special needed to use the noVNC console in the android app?
(Not SPICE at the moment)

With having done nothing but install the app and connect to my node,
When I select it, it's just a blank white screen.

I have a simple temporary setup with just my port forwarded, so I could at least See some progress.
No vpn or anything right now.

Console works inside my mobile browsers, Brave and Firefox-both noVNC and Spice, and Brave on my laptop.
So far I've used it to update then upgrade proxmox, backed up and edited my first file in nano (fstab), and set up a VM and was able to boot from a local USB FD. That's right.

I have read some things about ssl certificates with it,
but I'm trying to hold off on doing a full dive into certain subjects unless it's needed right now. Mainly avoiding being buried in big of a list of specific things to comprehend at once;
until I have a few simple creature comforts going for me, that I can fall back on.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Linux.Dizzy,

Welcome to the forums (and to Linux) !

If I recall correctly, the Android-app is discontinued in favour of making the web interface suitable for mobile devices. Partly to spend resources only once, partly because the iFolks were left in the cold with Apple not allowing Free/Libre software in their shop.

As a general hint: keep in mind if you are looking for general Linux-things (as opposed to Proxmox-specific) on your node: Proxmox is "plain Debian" with some extra packages.

Good luck on your journey!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!