Proxmox AND Apache CloudStack

dtaras

Sep 3, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a running Apache CloudStack (ACS) working with two clusters based on XCP-ng and VMware vSphere as hypervisors.
I want to add a new cluster to our public cloud with KVM hypervisor and want to have some kind of dashbord/manager for that cluster, then after searching a bit, I decided to give a try to Proxmox. I managed, following the documentation, to mount a cluster lab environment of two hosts and I'm able to create VMs, migrate them from one host to the other, etc. It's really working very well.
The problem came when I tried to integrate that cluster to ACS. I didn't read any documentation stating that it could be possible... I took the risk to try, but I'm unable to make it work.
Has anybody tried a similar approach?

Regards,
Damián Tarás

PS: Sorry, by mistake posted it here, maybe it should be moved to "Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration"

Last edited:
I moved the thread :)

According to the Apache Cloudstack website:
CloudStack currently supports the most popular hypervisors: VMware, KVM, Citrix XenServer, Xen Cloud Platform (XCP), Oracle VM server and Microsoft Hyper-V.

And when checking their documentation, I also don't see Proxmox VE mentioned anywhere. So I am afraid that they do not support Proxmox VE as an underlying hypervisor.

Hi Aaron, thanks for moving the thread and for your reply.

Yes, I know that there is no explicit support, but as the underlying hypervisor in Proxmox is KVM, and CloudStack supports it, I would like to know if anyone faced this situation and if there were any workaround to it.

Regards,
Damián

The Apache CloudStack community has discussed the support of Proxomox a year ago. They think that Proxomox is an excellent product that has good support on Ceph, ZFS, HA, etc. Both Proxomox and CloudStack (KVM support) talk to KVM hosts by libvirt (and librbd+librados for Ceph). The Proxomox integration will add an extra layer - Proxomox in the CloudStack management which does not bring much benefit to CloudStack. If you want to support Proxomox in CloudStack, please create a feature request at https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues

Thanks Ivet for your ansewr and Aaron for clarifying it. I will try to make a feature request for Cloudstack to support Proxmox, but I will have to integrate KVM hypevisor hosts directly into Cloudstack by the moment.

Regards,
Damián

Thanks Ivet for your ansewr and Aaron for clarifying it. I will try to make a feature request for Cloudstack to support Proxmox, but I will have to integrate KVM hypevisor hosts directly into Cloudstack by the moment.

Regards,
Damián
how did it go? :)

interesting !! ; is that possible to integrate and manage KVM on proxmox VE to ACS ?
or is there conflicting HA management and ACS can never manage HCI of proxmox VE?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!