Proxmox 8.2 / Kernel 6.8 breaks iGPU passthrough for UHD630

PigLover

Renowned Member
Apr 8, 2013
iGPU passthrough using PCIe passthrough for an Intel UHD 630 (i9-10900) works perfectly on Proxmox <= 8.0 and Kernel 6.5.x. But after upgrading to Proxmox 8.2 and kernel 6.8.x the whole system just hangs. Can't even get good logs to post.

Reverting to the kernel 6.5 boot environment stabilizes things and the passthrough works again.

Confirmed that it is the PCIe passthrough causing the problem by removing the PCIe device from the offending VM, rebooting the system into the kernel 6.8 boot enviornment. Everything is stable / normal. Shutting down the VM, adding the PCIe passthrough iGPU back, and then restarting the VM immdediatly causes the platform to hang.

Again - can't get logs because the passthrough blanks the console. And SSH sessions that were in place when it hangs just drop.

I also have the same problem. Reverting to the kernel 6.5 boot was the solution.
Hope we could solve this to use the latest kernels.

problem even exist in 6.8.8 kernel

Code:
Jun 22 11:37:51 proxmox kernel: vfio-pci 0000:02:00.0: timed out waiting for pending transaction; performing function level reset anyway
Jun 22 11:37:51 proxmox kernel: vfio-pci 0000:02:00.0: Unable to change power state from D0 to D3hot, device inaccessible

do ypu found any solution ?

Yes (sorta). Pinned kernel 6.5.

More seriously - I get the impression that this will not be fixed in the 6.8+ kernel stream anytime soon. Something got badly broken and looking at other message streams/email lists it appears that this is going to take a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisFromFuture
Yes (sorta). Pinned kernel 6.5.

More seriously - I get the impression that this will not be fixed in the 6.8+ kernel stream anytime soon. Something got badly broken and looking at other message streams/email lists it appears that this is going to take a while.

agree
6.8.4.2 pinned and it looks stable with pci passthrough

Found this problem today after finally doing the 8.2 upgrade. I've been passing my Intel iGPU to a VM by blacklisting the drivers on boot and then assigning it via devices. My VM would run fine for some time and then just puke. I booted up using the 6.5.13-5 Kernel and everything has been stable since.

Reactions: KrisFromFuture
I have given up on IGPU passthrough on windows for the moment however i am going to try downloading one of the above mentioned kernels. For what it works the passthrough works fine for linux vms regardless of the kernal i upgrade to the latest this week and my debian12 passthrough is still fine. (i7 9700) UHD-630

Last edited:
I have given up on IGPU passthrough on windows for the moment however i am going to try downloading one of the above mentioned kernels. For what it works the passthrough works fine for linux vms regardless of the kernal i upgrade to the latest this week and my debian12 passthrough is still fine. (i7 9700) UHD-630

6.5 should just be an option at boot. GIve it a try.

~# dpkg --list|grep proxmox-kernel
ii proxmox-kernel-6.8 6.8.8-2 all Latest Proxmox Kernel Image
ii proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed 6.8.4-2 amd64 Proxmox Kernel Image (signed)
ii proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-3-pve-signed 6.8.4-3 amd64 Proxmox Kernel Image (signed)
ii proxmox-kernel-6.8.8-2-pve-signed 6.8.8-2 amd64 Proxmox Kernel Image (signed)

All i have for now but im about to install the 6.5 and give it a whirl! will post results, what i can say is i can find nothing but post after post of problems regarding passthrough on 6.8. Glad i ran into the thread, it has inspired me to have another go at passing through the UHD 630 to windows.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!