[SOLVED] Proxmox 8.0.3 & 7.4.3: Host Network Issues with PCI Passthrough Setup

osker

Aug 6, 2023
Hello, I'm using Proxmox and trying to pass through a specific PCI device (Multimedia controller: Altera Corporation Device 4c15) to a VM. I've encountered a phenomenon where after attempting this setup, the host's other PCI devices start having issues, and the VM itself also appears to fail to boot.

Situation and Issues:

• After setting up the PCI device passthrough, the entire host is affected when starting the VM.
  • The host's onboard NIC and additional HDDs behave as if they have been disconnected.
  • Other issues, such as the host's network card ceasing to function, also occur.
  • The VM itself also appears to fail to boot.
  • This problem has been reproduced in both Proxmox version 8.0.3 and 7.4.3.

• I've added the target driver to the blacklist and bound it to vfio-pci with the following steps:
    Code:
    lspci -k -s 06:00.0
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
    Kernel modules: earth_pt3, altera_cvp

• The following are added to /etc/modules:

Code:
    vfio
    vfio_iommu_type1
    vfio_pci
    vfio_virqfd
I've been following the Proxmox official PCI(e) Passthrough guide (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough) for these configurations.

If anyone knows a solution to this problem, or has any clue to identify what might be causing it, I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

Postscript. Apparently, devices in the same IOMMU group as the PCI device I tried to pass through are disabled.

Last edited:
Self resolved. I don't know if this was the essential problem, but what I am sure of is that the IOMMU group of the device I wanted to pass through included NICs and other devices.
I had added the option to split it as documented, but that was not enough. I don't know which ones were valid, but in my environment, I changed the grub settings to the following, and it split the devices successfully.
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction video=efifb:off video=vesa:off vfio_ iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!