[TUTORIAL] Proxmox 7.1 with FreePBX 15 - How to make a fully working VM

Bart Smith

Oct 7, 2020
Netherlands
Hello,
I was testing various installation methods to create a FULLY working FreePBX 15 installation on Proxmox 7.1.
The issue at this moment is, when you install the FreePBX ISO onto a Proxmox VM, UCP (User Control Panel) will not work.

The method i concluded on is quiet extensive, so let me tell you what i did.

- Download the latest stable version of FreePBX form freepbx.org

Tools i used:
- Proxmox 7.1.x
- Vitualbox
- qemu-img for Windows
- WinSCP (to copy the converted file over to Proxmox)
-
Putty (SSH client)

Steps:
* Proxmox steps #1:
- Create a VM which is complainant to the minimal requirements for FreePBX 15,
- Make sure you use a QCOW2 disk format with the same size as you made/make the Virtualbox one.
- Remove the CD-Rom as we do not need it, and i disable the firewall checkmark from the network settings.
- Do not start the VM just yet.

* Virtualbox steps:
- Install Virtualbox on your work system (I use Windows)
- Create a virtual machine, matching your VM on Proxmox, I used VMDK as disk format.
- Install FreePBX on the Virtualbox machine, Enter the root password when asked and reboot. Do not start the install wizard.
- SSH into FreePBX machine and type: 'poweroff'.

* qemu-img steps:
- Open an powershell window in admin mode.
- ! know where to find the files !
- Start the converting from VMDK to QCOW2.
- example: C:\qemu-img.exe convert -p -f vmdk -O qcow2 "C:\users\<username>\VirtualBox VMs\<VM name>\<VM name>.vmdk" C:\vm-<VM number>-disk-0.qcow2

* Winscp steps:
- Copy with WinSCP the QCOW2 file from your system to the location Proxmox created the VM disk, you should get a popup to overwrite the file.

* Proxmox steps #2:
- Before you start the VM on Proxmox i recommend to make a STOP backup of the VM, useful if you need to start anew or want a "template" for FreePBX.
- Now you can start the FreePBX VM on Proxmox, browse to the IP and start configuring your working VoIP server.
- Note that the FreePBX firewall kicks in after 5 minutes of every boot, so don't be alarmed by the warning.
- As extra we also can add the qemu-guest-agent to the VM.
- In a SSH session to the FreePBX VM type : yum install qemu-guest-agent to download and install the agent.
- then type: systemctl start qemu-guest-agent, this can take a log time to complete and even fail.
- I made sure the agent would start a boot with the command: systemctl enable qemu-guest-agent
- Poweroff the FreePBX VM (not only reboot) and change the setting in the Proxmox VM settings Options\Qemu-guest-agent = Enabled.
- Now restart the FreePBX VM and check if the IP information is there.

I included a screen shot of my FreePBX running on Proxmox ( 2 cores - 2 GB )

As footnote: I converted VMDK to QCOW2 as Proxmox does not recognize the vmdk image format of Virtualbox.

Attachments

• FreePBX-system.jpg
    FreePBX-system.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Proxmox.jpg
    Proxmox.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!