Proxmox 7.0-11: High load / slow VMs after latest pveupdate && pveupgrade

Feb 10, 2021
Hello,

I use Proxmox since proxmox 2.1 in single instance mode for my home server. Current hardware is a Supermicro X11+ intel i3 9100f + 64gb ECC RAM.

Currently I experience a strange problem which occured after the last pveupdate && pveupgrade cycle 7 days ago. 7.0 was freshly installed beginning of july.

Screenshot from 2021-09-25 21-16-29.png

The screenshot shows the average load for the last month. One can see easily that since the last restart (uptime 7d10h), which followed after pveupdate && pveupgrade.

Work on the VMs has not changed, even after shutting down the most cpu-intensive vm (memory usage drop on the rightmost part of the chart), the other vms remain slow and sluggish, which can e.g. be experienced when accessing a corresponding web interface (gitlab, nextcloud, onlyoffice).

my second server (for backups) is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570T and does not experience any problems (same set of updates)

I found another thread where somebody had a similar problem on proxmox 6.3 (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...-reboot-of-node-load-high-cpu-ok-issue.80111/), however I can't extrapolate anything to solve the issue.

Any help is highly appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!