Proxmox 4.4. Hypervisor seems to time out and die after initial login

gizmo_the_great

Dec 18, 2016
Hi

Have installed PM 4.4 on a dedicated machine. After some initial connection problems (in my first post) I thought all was well, however, I seem to have another issue which may be my fault or maybe not.

Basically, I power on the hypervisor machine and can then connect to the web interface from my other machine as you'd expect. I can login, and browse all the categories, view stats, CPU usage etc.

If I then leave it for an hour while I go and do something else, when I come back and try to continue, the connection is lost. I can no longer access the web interface. Tried starting a new browser tab, even tried a new browser. I just won't connect unless I reboot the hypervisor again.

Is there some kind of session issue I need to configure or something? I assumed once the hypervisor was powered on it would be connectable forever using the web address until it is powered off.

when you cannot connect to the webinterface, can you still connect via ssh ? are the vms/container still running?

I didn't try SSH, and I still haven't got to the stage of creating VMs\Containers. The installation and just setting it up keeps thwarting me. So I'm afraid I don't know.

Since then I tried re-installing, again, this time to a newly configured hardware RAID0 (so /dev/sda). After installation, it then couldn't find the boot partition! So at the moment I can't try to SSH as you suggest. So it looks like I'll be re-installaing again after removing the RAID.

OK, reinstalled to a software ZFS RAID0 instead.

So far, system all good. Can login and browse web interface.

Interestingly, execution of
> dmesg | grep eth1 | head -3

reports:

forcedeth 0000:00:09.0: if name eth1 PHY OUI .. MAC address here ...
device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
forcedeth 0000:00:09.0 eth1 : MSI enabled

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!