proxmox 3 nodes & live migration

m3a2r1

Feb 23, 2020
Can you explain me how to set up 3 nodes with working live migration? Every node has own storage but live migration needs the same name storage on all nodes.
It's not possible to add the same name storage more than once.

with working live migration?
The setup I do use at home is "just the standard installation" with a ZFS mirror as "rpool" resp. "local-zfs" as a Storage for my VMs.

Live migrations works basically out of the box: "local-zfs" must be present on all Nodes (as it is by Default!) and a replication job prepares for mirgration every few hours (or daily).

Pitfall: the name of that storage must be identical on all nodes. There is only one definition of this which is valid custer-wide! The default configuration is sufficient:
Code:
~# grep -A 4 local-zfs  /etc/pve/storage.cfg

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content rootdir,images
        sparse 1

If you have named them differently on the nodes... you need to rename them... which is not trivial.

Hi,
Live migration is only possible with shared storage. Choose one from the list [1]. I would recommend using Ceph.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage#_storage_types
Thats not right - I use local storage and live migrate fine.
to clarify: yes, live-migration is possible with local storage too. It's just that the disks need to be migrated additionally, so it will take longer. With a shared storage only the RAM/state of the VM needs to be migrated.

Can you explain me how to set up 3 nodes with working live migration? Every node has own storage but live migration needs the same name storage on all nodes.
It's not possible to add the same name storage more than once.
you need to declared storage only once, and enable shared option.

(for local storages, each node need to have same lvm vg name or zfs pool name)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!