Proxmox 2.x Web Gui Ports

Aug 30, 2009
London, UK
Hi - I Tried searching for this but either i failed or i couldnt find the info here or on the Wiki

Problem: Current web gui port is 8006 over HTTPS - We'd Like to change this to standard port 443

Question(s): Can i just move the ports in apache config? Do I need to keep the service also running on 8006 as well for any reason (but blocked from external access)

Other than that are there any other things i need to change or be aware of

EDIT: Worked out how to do this myself

change the contents of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve-redirect.conf to the following (changes redirect destination from HTTP and disables the port 443 redirect):
Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>    #RewriteLog "/root/rewrite.log"
    #RewriteLogLevel 10
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
    RewriteRule .* - [F]
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [L,R]
</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost *:443>
#    SSLEngine on
#    SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
#    SSLCertificateFile /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem
#    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key

#    RewriteEngine on
#    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
#    RewriteRule .* - [F]
#    RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}:8006/$1 [L,R]
#</VirtualHost>

and then edited the following line in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve.conf
Code:
<VirtualHost *:8006>
to
Code:
<VirtualHost *:8006 *:443>

then reload apache: /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

NOTE - this leaves the server enabled on port 8006 - I do not know if its safe to stop it listening on this port or not - I am choosing to lock this down at the hardware firewall level just in case

Last edited:
Thanks Dietmar - i ended up trying the edits in my first post and they worked - good job i left 8006 working internally - its not seeming to affect anything on the web frontend for users - console works etc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!