Proxmox 2.X - Debian Host - pfSense As Guest With Virtual Guest Networking

I

ilikenwf

Hello, everyone. I've been trying out similar forum threads, my own wits and tutorials, etc, to no luck.

What I'm wanting to do is have all of my KVM guests use a pfSense guest as their gateway, so that they can all share their own private internal network, and if possible, use iptables to block all normal traffic to the host except through the pfSense gateway as well. I am pretty sure I have /etc/network/interfaces setup correctly, as below. I plan on eventually having 5 or more pubic IP's pointing to this box eventually, and also wish to manage those via pfSense, which I suppose I can somehow manage with more bridges, by using virtual interfaces and vlans on the host for each IP.

So far, no matter how I set it up, DHCP or not, I'm unable to ping the pfSense box from another guest, and the guests thus are also unable to ping the pfSense box. Pinging 10.0.0.2 always works fine to ping the host, though...so I'm not sure what's going on with the virtual switching here, but I'd really appreciate some help...

Please note: the bridge 0 IP is coming from my home network connection for now until I colocate the box, so that's why I'm using a private IP range there.

Thanks!

/etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet manual

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address  10.0.0.2
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  192.168.2.200
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    gateway  192.168.2.1
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

Last edited by a moderator:
SamTzu: thanks fo rth esuggestions, but vmbr0 is tied to the external, real network. vmbr1 is set not to bridge as I was trying to set it up as it's own little vlan.

JanRK: thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!