ProtonVPN + Container VPN Support

MoldyTaint

Dec 3, 2022
Hi there guys! I'm a bit newer to the Proxmox scene but am enjoying what it has to offer so far.

What I'm looking to do is set up a VPN connection to the company I subscribe to (Proton) so that I could designate that VPN connection to the container or VM that I would happen to spin up. Would it be easier/more beneficial to set up that VPN connection through the VM/Container or as a host network - Where would one look to start to settting that up? I can seem to find setting up my own VPN server but I'd rather just use what I'm paying for right now.

I'm not sure what your use case is.
Do you want to use a VPN to connect to your internal network?
Or do you want to use this ProtonVPN to access external networks

Reactions: MoldyTaint
I'm not sure what your use case is.
Do you want to use a VPN to connect to your internal network?
Or do you want to use this ProtonVPN to access external networks
Thank you for taking the time to reply back, I appreciate it!

I am looking to connect to the servers that are provided to me as I have a paid subscription with them. I'd just like to connect to their servers

And you want to have all VM and CT connect through that VPN?
Then I would suggest you create a bridge, put a router in there to act as gateway, make it connect to your VPN automatically (https://protonvpn.com/support/installing-protonvpn-on-a-router/) and all VM/CT on that bridge will use the VPN through the router.

Using a VPN won't magically secure your internet, even if VPN providers seem to advertise it that way.
I suggest you resarch if using a VPN for every guest is really what you want

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!