Promox, boot over iSCSI with Multipath

rafaelcar

May 31, 2024
Hello everyone, I'm setting up the following environment:

A server with 4 10GB network interfaces and a Pure Storage with iSCSI connectivity.

My goal is to install the Proxmox boot on a Pure Storage volume for immutability protection and accidental disaster recovery with snapshot protections. My idea is to use multipath (iSCSI) and install Proxmox on a multipathd device.

I'm attempting this via Debug Install. I've made significant progress; I managed to configure the network settings for both iSCSI and management in vmbr. I was able to log into the initiators and create the multipath device.

However, in the installation menu, the multipath device did not appear. I discovered a folder called proxmox-install with a JSON file that creates the menu listing the devices. I edited it manually and gained better control over the installation, but it still says the multipath device is unavailable. Yet, it is available because within the shell, I can format and mount it via multipath.

Of course, this is just the beginning, as post-installation will still require configuration in initramfs and probably grub for booting the OS partition via iSCSI, but one step at a time, right? If anyone has successfully performed this type of iSCSI boot installation with multipath, I would appreciate any information.

One note, I managed to configure the boot via Pure Storage WITHOUT multipath, but it's important for me to have multiple network interfaces configured so that in case of failure, the OS can continue to access the storage.

Thank you.

Hi @rafaelcar ,
There is no official procedure for what you are trying to do using the official PVE ISO. The recommended approach is to use the Debian 12 installer, achieve what you want, and then install PVE as a package: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_12_Bookworm

Hope this helps

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thank you very much. In parallel, I am exploring this possibility as well. I would like to keep the OS as close to the "original" as possible because my plan is to deploy it in corporate environments with support contracts from Proxmox itself. But first, I would like to make it work. I am very close to achieving this in a "native" way, albeit with some additional steps. I will also conduct tests with Debian in parallel, and if I make any significant progress, I will post it here for the community.

my plan is to deploy it in corporate environments with support contracts from Proxmox itself.
Debian+PVE is covered under the PVE support subscription.
It may be amore supported/appropriate way, than "hacking" the official ISO into something it's not meant to be. You can always reach out to PVE to clarify via sales@proxmox.com

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

This is e
Thank you very much. In parallel, I am exploring this possibility as well. I would like to keep the OS as close to the "original" as possible because my plan is to deploy it in corporate environments with support contracts from Proxmox itself. But first, I would like to make it work. I am very close to achieving this in a "native" way, albeit with some additional steps. I will also conduct tests with Debian in parallel, and if I make any significant progress, I will post it here for the community.
This is entirely possible as I have vanilla debian install that boots over the network through iscsi... however, unlike other distros like openSUSE, RH-based, where you can directly install into iscsi LUN, debian installer does not offer such option. What you can do is install it first onto a vm (or physical machine) then enable the iscsi stuff such as modifying as below:

/etc/initramfs-tools/modules
iscsi_ibft
iscsi_boot_sysfs
iscsi_tcp
scsi_transport_iscsi

and grub config to include the ISCSI* parameters, then regen the initramfs. Finally, import the image into your iscsi server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!