Problems with Allocation Policies

Feb 1, 2024
Hello, so i got the following Allocation Policies for my Media Pools:
1719560651267.png
And the following Backup-Job:
1719560685453.png

From time to time i get the Error: "TASK ERROR: alloc writable media in pool 'Weekly' failed: no usable media found"

I have a 4 Set rotation of Tapes. Am i missunderstanding the Allocation entry?
As i understand the Documentation it counts the current set + the Retention time.
I thought it would be usable for the Backup after 4 Weeks, but as my Error obvious not.
If someone could point out my error i would be very grateful.

hi, sorry for the late answer

From time to time i get the Error: "TASK ERROR: alloc writable media in pool 'Weekly' failed: no usable media found"
when for example did you get that error? on which job? what was the state at that point (if you can remember?)

from the docs (https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/tape-backup.html#media-pools):
Retention period starts on the creation time of the next media-set or, if that does not exist, when the calendar event next triggers after the current media-set start time.

so a backup started at sat 2:01 + 3 weeks of retention time is sat (3 weeks later) at 2:01, depending on the timing, it may happen that the newly allocated media set is a second or so earlier than it was last time
imho the safe way to do this is to use something like 20 days instead of 3 weeks (so essentially leaving a day of buffer time)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!