[SOLVED] Problems migrating from 6.4 to 7.0 - error restoring backup

jmaitra

Oct 4, 2020
Hello,

I tried to migrate from 6.4 to 7.0. I made a snapshot of my existing VM an installed with the 7.0 ISO-Image from scratch. After this I wanted to restore a backup from my 6.4 - version. First I had to rename the .tar file to .tgz; after doing this I received the enclosed error message.

Any suggestions ? Thank you for your response.

Best regards
Jens

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-14 um 19.52.38.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-14 um 19.52.38.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 9
First I had to rename the .tar file to .tgz; after doing this I received the enclosed error message.
how did you create the backup?
what's inside the tar-file?
did you copy it to /var/lib/pmg/backup ?

I created the backup with the pmg backup tool (Version 6.4). I enclosed a screenshot of the content of the tar file. Yes, Icopied it to /var/lib/pmg/backup.

Best regards Jens

Attachments

• version.txt
    77 bytes · Views: 1
  • 2021-10-15_17h27_55.jpg
    2021-10-15_17h27_55.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2
Hm - archive looks ok from what I can see...

could you try:
Code:
mkdir /tmp/proxrestore_1111.5555
cd /tmp/proxrestore_1111.5555
tar xzf /var/lib/pmg/backup/<nameofyourbackup>.tgz
and see if this works?

Thanks !

The goal was to extract the tar-archive of the 6.4 installation (tar -xvf) and make a tgz-archive (tar -czf) needed for the 7.0. Thank you for your assistance !

Best regards
Jens

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
I'm still pretty sure that nothing changed regarding the backup .tgz between 6.4 and 7.0 - so I'm still a bit confused how that happened - but in any case glad you solved your issue!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!