Problems Importing from ESXi

Verulam

Jul 29, 2024
Hi there

I've run into a very odd situation. My first import of a Linux box from ESXi (7.0.3) to PVE (8.2.4) ran perfectly using the wizard. However when trying other hosts I quickly ran into trouble with various error messages such as:

Connection error - Timeout.

or

create storage failed: cfs-lock 'file-storage_cfg' error: got lock request timeout (500)

or

is not a vim server

I couldn't work out why these other imports failed when my first attempt succeeded - I even re-imported it again to verify. I can see on the ESXi hosts that the PVE login is accepted as root. I've made the following config changes on ESXi:

<soap>
<sessionTimeout>0</sessionTimeout>
<maxSessionCount>0</maxSessionCount>
</soap>

I looked for variables that were different like hardware, ESXi exact version, size of VM, time of day, atmospheric pressure etc but couldn't see an issue. Then, when looking at the size of mounted datastores on the ESXi hosts (which I don't think is a factor) I noticed that the number of VMs on the host was different.

My first migration was from a host with only two VMs on it. All my other attempts were on hosts with at least 10 VMs. So after migrating some workloads I found the following: that PVE can connect successfully to ESXi as long as the number of VMs on ESXi is 4 or less. As soon as I have 5 VMs on ESXi it errors.

I know PVE isn't searching the many TBs of datastores for VMX files (and it fails far too quickly anyway) but I can't see why having 5 VMs on an ESXi host would spook it?

Was wondering if anyone else had some across this?

Thanks.

Thank you for your thorough description of your problem. Unfortunately I could not recreate your problem (in respect to the amount of VMs on ESXi) on a local setup. I would be interested if there is something of interest in your syslog for the ESXi fuse mount point (or PVE storage and esxi-import-tool in general). Have you checked if there the manifest.json in /run/pve/import/esxi/<storage-name>/ looks correct to you? Have you tried to reconnect to the mount point (e.g. recreating the storage, remounting)?

Thanks for getting back to me @dakralex , I'm not surprised you cant recreate the problem - it has to be something odd at our end...

I'll take a look at the manifest & import directory. Yes, I have tried to reconnect to the storage as well as restart hostd and reboot hosts.

I went back to my first guest that successfully imported and migrated it to another host - it then failed to import. Migrating VMs that didn't import to the first guest's host did allow them to import. So it is something to do with some of our ESXi host's config which is another breadcrumb to help work out what is going on.

Also gives me a temporary workaround to get some VMs off ESXi and into PVE which is what we're trying to achieve.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!