Problem with installing libguestfs

hamed

Sep 6, 2010
I'm trying to install libguestfs on my proxmox server.
When I try to install it using apt-get, it asks for qemu-kvm to be installed and installing qemu-kvm will mess up everything.
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libguestfs0 : Depends: qemu-kvm (>= 0.13) but it is not going to be installed

Also, when I try to compile libguestfs from source, I get the following error when running 'make':
Code:
guestfish-progress.o: In function `progress_bar_set':
/root/libguestfs/libguestfs-1.18.0/fish/progress.c:274: undefined reference to `tgetnum'

Does anyone know how to install libguestfs on a proxmox box?

libguestfs still depends on libvirt, and that is not available on PVE systems (many package conflicts)

libguestfs still depends on libvirt, and that is not available on PVE systems (many package conflicts)
libguestfs does NOT depend on libvirt, if compiled from source.
For the original poster: Problem #1 is that you need qemu-kvm that has virtio-serial (which is true for any qemu for the last 2-3 years). You also need kernel >= 2.6.34 for the same reason.
Problem #2: You need to install libncurses5-dev and libreadline-dev, AND rerun ./configure after installing them.
Rich.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining,
I'm also trying to compile libguestfs on proxmox 1.9 (debian lenny).
after running make, I get the following error:
Code:
../src/.libs/libguestfs.so: undefined reference to `le64toh'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [create_disk] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/libguestfs-1.18.0/examples'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I couldn't find which library is missing. Do you have any idea about this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!