Problem with ballooning ram

ravenland

Jun 17, 2023
Hello Everyone

I've been having a discussion with my VPS provider for a few months, they rent me a server with Linux Centos 7.9 with 32GB RAM, and told me that they use ballooning, but from inside my server, everything I try (free, top, etc) shows only 1.5GB available, if I try memtester to allocate 8GB it will fail giving an error, how are my apps (apache, mysqld, etc.) know that they can use more ram if everything in my system shows 1.5GB available?

Everytime I complain the show me this:
imagen.png

Thanks!

If their ballooning works like the Proxmox/QEMU/KVM ballooning then it just takes away memory from your VM if the host gets at 80%. You will see this taken-away memory as a large allocation and you will just have less memory available to you and your programs. There is nothing you can do from inside the VM (if it works like I expect). I don't know how much memory CentOS takes when it just boots (let's say 0.5GB), then it looks very much like their system took away 30GB from your VM (and you cannot use those 30GB).
There is nothing Proxmox can do here for you; you need to take this up with your VPS provider.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!