Privileged Vs Unprivileged

Bishop27

Jul 3, 2024
Hello,
I'm setting up a turnkey file server and I was wondering for easy R/W permissions should I setup the container as privileged? Right now I have it setup as Unprivileged and I tried to change the ownership on a directory and all the files inside but I get a error that says " Failed to change owner: 256" Thank you in advance.

Its a security risk to use a privileged container, so the risk vs reward decision is yours to make. Me personally I would search for the instructions posted on this forum somewhere about bind mounting shares into an unprivileged container. The write up details how to map users in the container to users on the host. Then I believe you will be able to set read write permissions on the host machine folder.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!