Power Saving on hardware that doesn't support CPU Governor?

Adam718

Jun 16, 2024
I recently bought a Citrix SD-WAN 1100 with an Atom C3758 CPU.

It consumes 25W on idle load, which is a bit higher than I would like, and that's after running powertop autotune.

All the powersaving guides and threads I see point to modifying the CPU governor and configuring it for powersave or conservative. The problem is my hardware doesn't seem to have options like this.

Code:
# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
cat: '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors': No such file or directory

In fact, it doesn't seem to have many CPU monitoring functions at all. Even when accessing the BIOS over serial, I can't find any options for enabling CPU power options.

Is there anything left I can do to try and reduce power consumption?

Maybe it uses Intel pstate instead? This is not Proxmox specific, so other guides for your system and Linux power management would probably apply too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!