[SOLVED] Possible to setup RAID 0 without RAID controller.

LittleGrand

Aug 23, 2022
Im looking at installing Proxmox on my linux box (TR 3960X) instead of Ubuntu. I wish to put Proxmox on a 1TB NVME and would like to RAID 0 the 6 2TB NVME drives. Is this possible? I have been looking at tutorials and cannot find one for RAID 0 as most use ZFS for RAID but Proxmox does not offer RAID 0 in the tutorials.

Is it possible to just RAID them using the command line(mdadm?) and have Proxmox see the RAID as 1 disk?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply

I am trying to do this but cannot get it working.

I used the shell and ran:
--pvcreate -v /dev/nvme[0-5]n1
--vgcreate -v storage /dev/nvme[0-5]n1
--lvcreate -l 100%FREE -n stripedStorage -i6 storage

when I do this, I can only see storage and it shows as 100% used, I do not have access to striped storage?

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
I had seen this and tried

--mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=6 /dev/nvme0n1 /dev/nvme1n1 /dev/nvme2n1 /dev/nvme3n1 /dev/nvme4n1 /dev/nvme5n1

md0 does not come up as an option in the GUI to use for creating a LVM Volume Group?

EDIT:

Think I may have it, created the volume group via command line and it now shows up in the GUI for use

Last edited:
This worked. FYI for mdadm make sure you create a partition on the drives first and raid the partitions IE /dev/nvme2n1p1 etc or it will not survive reboot. Works like a charm now, Ubuntu VM installed in seconds :)

They are all basically scratch VMs so im good with that but i can bring them up/tear down etc VERY fast, purpose to the striping :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!