possible to run proxmox 2.1 with old 1.9 webinterface?

mo_

Oct 27, 2011
Germany
Hello again,

Im wondering whether or not its possible (or could be made possible) to run an up to date proxmox installation but sticking with the old webinterface.

Before people come screaming "but the new webinterface is so much better!!!", heres my reasoning for that request:

THE major selling point for proxmox in my presentations always was that the proxmox webinterface (VERY unlike vmware) runs flawlessly in ANY browser really since it didnt use javascript (which is a HUGE plus) nor ajax or any other super fancy stuff that makes it prone to errors (*).
All those errors listed below (in the * section) may or may not have simple or complicated solutions, but I really only wanted to make the point that the new webinterface just isnt nowhere near the old one in terms of simplicity and productivity.

It feels like the webinterface has taken a HUGE step backwards in 2.1 because now its in a state where I actually wanted to get away from, a state we know from vmware, where the webinterface only works occasionally and only on certain browsers / browser versions / operating systems. And thats REALLY not a desirable state.

Furthermore the 1.9 webinterface was SO much more organized and well structured then the new one that the new webinterface lacks the elegance it used to have.
The first impression of the 1.8/1.9 webinterface everyone Ive ever shown it to was: (paraphrased) "Wow, this is so well structured and simple. Its so very rock solid and man it just works. Thats the kind of webdesign I want, the design that people have stopped making years ago to dump it in favor of obnoxious "dynamic" garbage."

(*) Errors like: the webinterface being unusably broken, producing around 50 (thats a guess on my part, the list is long!) errors in the firefox error log, all related to the resources/css/ext-all.css style sheet which apparantly has all its content in only 1 line (as a means obfuscation?), which makes it impossible to debug - image attached.

Also a coworker of mine gets this error about 80% of the time when trying to get a console: Network error: could not connect to server: <proxmox hostname was here>:5900

Im constantly getting "Network error: remote side closed connection". I need to hit Reload 1-5 times until it magically starts displaying the console.

None of these issues is present on the 1.9 machine thats having exactly the same configuration as our new 2.1 test machine (save for the IPv4 address obviously ;-))

Attachments

• proxmox21.png
    proxmox21.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 16
I am curious that you are experiencing all these errors - and that you have to keep refreshing?

I have never had these problems - and use the interface across a range of machines from Intel Atoms to the latests and greatest.

The only point I have ever found lacking is that the interface does not work well when using an iphone as the ajax and the screen size cause things to grind a bit. Maybe oneday an enterprising person will build an app!

But for now.. proxmox 2 is infinitely better than where it was!

The old interface was good - but not so good if you had 18 nodes and 100+ machines!

Rob

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!