Possible to disable "default" RBD image features?

nicklock

Oct 22, 2018
I'm in the process of transferring VMs and disk images from an old Proxmox/Ceph cluster to new* ones, and I've come up against a surprisingly high amount of IOWait when the VMs are running in the new clusters. Wait - don't run off... I'm not complaining about *that*! :D

Whilst looking into this, I found that the "old" cluster only has layering enabled on RBD images whilst the "new" one also has exclusive-lock, object-map, fast-diff, deep-flatten enabled.

In order to test if any of these extra features are causing my problem, I disabled object-map, fast-diff, deep-flatten via the rbd tool on the command line. However, on restarting the VM the object-map, fast-diff features are automatically re-enabled on the image.

I've set rbd_default_features = 1 in the [global], [client] and [client.admin] sections of the running ceph.conf for the Ceph cluster (which seems to stop images being *created* with deep-flatten), and the ${storage}.conf in /etc/pve/priv/ceph on the Proxmox VE clients. I've also tried commenting out the feature-enable lines in /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/RBDPlugin.pm :
Code:
lines 159-169:

#if ($to_enable) {
#    print "enable RBD image features this kernel RBD drivers supports: $to_enable\n";
#    eval {
#        my $cmd = $rbd_cmd->($scfg, $storeid, 'feature', 'enable', $name, $to_enable);
#        run_rbd_command(
#        $cmd,
#        errmsg => "could not enable krbd-compatible image features '$to_enable' for rbd image: $name",
#        );
#    };
#    warn "$@" if $@;
#}

but also to no avail. So my question is - is it possible to disable these features on a single image "fully", for testing?

* new Ceph cluster:
Code:
root@ceph-sa-1-1:~# ceph version
ceph version 18.2.2 (e9fe820e7fffd1b7cde143a9f77653b73fcec748) reef (stable)
root@ceph-sa-1-1:~# pveversion
pve-manager/8.2.7/3e0176e6bb2ade3b (running kernel: 6.8.12-2-pve)
new Proxmox cluster:
Code:
root@compute-m-c3n1:/etc/ceph# pveversion
pve-manager/8.2.7/3e0176e6bb2ade3b (running kernel: 6.8.12-2-pve)
root@compute-m-c3n1:/etc/ceph# ceph version
Error initializing cluster client: ObjectNotFound('RADOS object not found (error calling conf_read_file)')
root@compute-m-c3n1:/etc/ceph# apt-show-versions | grep ceph | head -n1
ceph:amd64/bookworm 18.2.2-pve1 upgradeable to 18.2.4-pve3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!