Poor network performance on VM or misconfiguration?

nireos

Jun 26, 2024
First, before you respond with the whole "it is all software based, ect...", I understand that. So please read the entirety of my post before responding. I am truly trying to understand if I have misconfigured something or if this is just how Proxmox is.

I am considering moving from Hyper-V to Porxmox. I have no experience with Proxmox; but do have considerable experience with VMWare. I was hoping there would be enough similarity to make this easy. I decided to conduct an Apples to Apples comparison before making the switch.

Scenario:
I built a brand new Windows 2022 server on my current Hyper-V environment. Single vCPU, 8GB memory. Nothing fancy. No special services. Just a base server install.

I exported the VM and followed a guide I found online for importing it into Proxmox. Done. Easy.

Now, there is where I need help. If I run an internet speed test (yes I know these are not the best tests but I am trying to keep it simple without getting in to a lot of technical iperfs, or other network tests), the VM caps out at 200Mbps.

This same VM on Hyper-V hit 800Mbps.

If I add vCPU and/or cores to the VM, then I can get it to hit the 800Mbps.

So, I decided to try the same VM on VMWare. On VMWare it performs as expected (800 Mbps) with a single vCPU.

Processor Type - I set this to "Host" per an article I found here on the forum. This did help.
NIC Type - VirtIO

So my question(s)....

1. Is this normal expected behavior?
2. Do I have something misconfigured either in the Proxmox host or the VM?
3. Why dos Hyper-V and/or VMWare see better performance without adding vCPU?

That link worked; but I don't think that is the answer. That says I set the Multiqueue value = to the number of vCPUs. Increasing the number of vCPUs already fixes the performance issue.

I want to understand why I need to increase the number of vCPUs on Proxmox to get the same performance I already get from Hyper-V and VMWare without increasing vCPUs.

Oh, sorry for that wrong link :rolleyes:

Did you benchmarked it with multiqueue?

Hyper-V did it via VMQ etc. (if the NIC (and Driver)supports it), take a look into the VM-related NIC-Settings in Hyper-V.

No rocket-sciene here.

And no, you don´t have to increase the Number of vCPUs, if the Performance in HV or VMWare was OK.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry for that wrong link :rolleyes:

Did you benchmarked it with multiqueue?

Hyper-V did it via VMQ etc. (if the NIC (and Driver)supports it), take a look into the VM-related NIC-Settings in Hyper-V.

No rocket-sciene here.

And no, you don´t have to increase the Number of vCPUs, if the Performance in HV or VMWare was OK.
I did test it with multiqueue and it still only gets around 200Mbps on an internet speed test.

So i think it must be a hardware related issue (Switch/NIC etc..)

Use iPerf for testing or similar.
While I cannot with 100% certainty same it is not a hardware issue; that is highly unprobable. This is 1 of 3 servers all purchased less than 1 year ago. It was previous running Hyper-V with no issue. It is connected to the same switch as the other servers and the same switch and ports that it was connected to as a Hyper-V server.

Thus I really think it is a configuration issue (my lack of knowledge of Proxmox) or Proxmox simply does not perform at the same level as Hyper-V or VMWare. Unfortunately, presales support basically told me to go pound sand. Hence why I am asking the community for help figuring out what it might be that I have misconfigured.

My other thought is it could be driver issue with the Broadcom NICs. I am not a fan of Broadcom NICs but that is what Dell put in the 3 servers.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!