Poor network IOPS - Troubleshooting

shadowq

Mar 12, 2013
I have two nodes set up, geographically 3-4,000 KMs away (200ms).
Node 1 (3 x 1.92GB SSD) scores great IOPS testing using FIO, around 470,000 for sequential reads, and around 2000MB/s. For random read/write, around 2500 IOPS, and 10MB/s.
Node 2 (2 x 480GB SSD) scores great IOPS testing using FIO, around 350,000 for sequential reads, and around 1500MB/s. For random read/write, around 6250 IOPS, and 25MB/s.
Both running on ZFS, with only 2 containers running on them, not super intensive loads. Both in an OVH DC (APAC and N.A)

I've been experimenting with how I'm going to increase storage space for non-critical data on Node 2, but would still like to achieve 50-100 IOPS ideally. However, even when experimenting with mounting an external drive via NFS, or SSHFS, I'm getting abysmal IOPS (1-5). Excuse my ignorance, but would IOPS be limited by actual number of roundtrips it can take in a second? Eg- a test with mounting Node 2 dir on Node 1, achieves only a IOPS of < 5, is that because each round trip is 200ms or so? Or is there something else at play here? (Regular bandwidth between the nodes are 100MB/s+)

TIA.

Nevermind. (Was going to remove this to save embarrassment, but I guess it may help someone else down the track).
IOPS was indeed extremely poor due to network latency. I spun up a public cloud instance in the same DC as one of the nodes and read IOPS are approx 2000, with read/write being 150-200.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!