Poor KVM performance 50% of host server and openvz

ehabh

Dec 20, 2012
I am testing on a completely empty ( no users other than the testing ) server with 8 AMD cores and indel 3500 SSD drives. The KVM uses virtio in both HD and network and default cpu ( actually tried the native cpu too same results ) and tried multiple caching options but the differences where small.
I used the tests in this page http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-benchmark-your-system-cpu-file-io-mysql-with-sysbench

The Mysql benchmark is as below
sysbench --test=oltp --oltp-table-size=1000000 --mysql-db=test --mysql-user=root --mysql-password=yourrootsqlpassword prepare
then

sysbench --test=oltp --oltp-table-size=1000000 --mysql-db=test --mysql-user=root --mysql-password=yourrootsqlpassword --max-time=60 --oltp-read-only=on --max-requests=0 --num-threads=8 run

On the main server I get
transactions: 81373 (1356.13 per sec.)
Running on openvz with all cpus available to the vm
transactions: 86230 (1437.10 per sec.)
(openvz was higher might just be run variation that vz is higher but it shows that vz is veryclose to baremetal enough that indicidual variation makes a difference )
But when running on KVM with all the cpus available to the VM
transactions: 44220 (736.93 per sec.)

This is a HUGE drop close to unacceptable

When doing the pure cpu benchmark
sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run

baremetal gets
execution time (avg/stddev): 18.7910/0.00
( in seconds so lower is better )

And in the kvm machine
execution time (avg/stddev): 20.4926/0.00

Which is an acceptable slow down and point that the problem is IO.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!