Poor I/O Performance PM 8.2.2

gregor.klatovsky

Oct 14, 2024
Hi,
I've read serveral threads concering a poor disk performance in a Windows guest vm running on proxmox.
I have not found anything which could fix the problem. The guests are setup as described in any tutorial, latest virtio driver, SCSI disk with write back, virtio SCSI single controller aso.
The storage is a brand new qnap with 4 TB SSD disk. QNAP performance tests show the proper value of I/Os and MB/s. The proxmox shell also shows also the proper value (tested with fio). Only the Windows guest (Windows Server 2022) has a very poor disk performance.
Doese anybody has a clue why there is such a bad performance. I think it is a common problem, if I google the issue a lot of threads were shown.
Thanks a lot
Gregor

Hello,

What filesystem is used inside of the Windows host? What filesystem are you using for storage on the Proxmox VE side? For how long did you run such benchmarks? What kind of SSD disk is this? Which model?

Hi Maximilliano,
thanks for your reply. The Windows FS is NTFS. The filesystem is ext4 for the local and the ISCSI disks raw. The benchmarks ran about 20 minutes. I use 4 WD RED SA500 NAS SATA SSD 4TB with RAID5 on a QNAP. One separate backbone with 10G is also there.
Thanks al lot
Best Regards
Gregor

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!