pmg as relay host with authentication

rzworks

Apr 30, 2019
Hi everyone,
I was trying to use pmg as relay host for some mail servers and I was able to make it work without authenticatoin just putting the pubblic ip address of the mail server in mail proxy settings - network session of the GUI.
I was wondering how could I set up the pmg to accept relay from a mail server with authentication regardless the pubblic ip. Do you know any way to do that?

Thank you in advance for your help!

PS: PMG is great! I love it!

PMG uses postfix as its MTA and you can configure postfix via the service configuration templating system - see https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#_service_configuration_templates.

You could add another listener, which only accepts mail on authenticated connections - usually this listens on port 587 (mail-submission) and then configure the servers which should send via PMG to log in before sending the mails - there are quite a few howtos for this out there - but I always like the postfix reference documentation as a starting point: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

I hope this helps!

Sorry to Dig up an old thread however is there a way to do this via the interface? I want to avoid the configuration being overwritten by changes in the GUI if created in the CLI.

Thanks, yea I did some testing and this cleared it up for me however I cannot get user authentication working to allow relay :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!