Please help with my netplan configuration

UnixSu

Oct 11, 2024
I am absolutely at my wit's end.

I've been trying to configure networking for a node (vps) where I've installed Ubuntu 24.04.01, but I am unable to ping google.com or connect to the internet.

Here are the instructions I followed:

sudo nano /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml

Please see the screenshot for my settings. I cannot figure out what is wrong, despite checking multiple times. I've also attached my OVH IP addresses, but I am uncertain whether the IP and nameserver configurations are correct.

I then bash

sudo netplan apply

and ping google.com

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 12.48.47.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 12.48.47.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 12.56.33 (3).png
    Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 12.56.33 (3).png
    103.7 KB · Views: 4
Hey,

I assume 57.128.188.195 is the PVE host.
- Can you ping the PVE host from the VM?
- Can you ping 1.1.1.1? If you can, there is a problem with DNS.
- Could you also post the output of ip a from the VM.
- You can ping google.com from the PVE host, right?

Also, make sure ip forwarding is on on the host.
Code:
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward

# should be
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
if it is not
Code:
# add to /etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

# then
sysctl -p

Thank you for the quick reply, much appreciated.

ip forward was 0, so I enabled =1 however the problem still persists.

assume 57.128.188.195 is the PVE host. Yes
- Can you ping the PVE host from the VM? Yes, this pings just fine.
- Can you ping 1.1.1.1? If you can, there is a problem with DNS. nope destination host unreachable, see screenshot
- Could you also post the output of ip a from the VM.
- You can ping google.com from the PVE host, right? yes, I can ping google from the host using xterm.js

Also, make sure ip forwarding is on on the host. I did this, and still the issue persists.

I have also attached the post output for ip a.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 13.36.06.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 13.36.06.png
    272.9 KB · Views: 3
I've been trying to configure networking for a node (vps) where I've installed Ubuntu 24.04.01
Where does Proxmox VE come into it?
I've also attached my OVH IP addresses, but I am uncertain whether the IP and nameserver configurations are correct.
You configuration has /32 subnet, that netmask contains only one IP. Is it right? Your network screenshot does not show netmask.

Your gateway is wrong - you are pointing it to the host itself. Review your second screenshot for correct GW.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Hannes Laimer

You configuration has /32 subnet, that netmask contains only one IP. Is it right? Your network screenshot does not show netmask.

Your gateway is wrong - you are pointing it to the host itself. Review your second screenshot for correct GW.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

See attached

I have removed the netmask and it states error in network definition, see screenshot.

I have not used gateway4 as it is depreciated, do you mean routes? I have changed this and still the same problem (see screenshot)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 13.41.25 (3).png
    Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 13.41.25 (3).png
    243.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 13.45.00.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 13.45.00.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 2
A particular keyword used by netplan is not important. The host needs a gateway to reach outside its defined subnet.
Initially you defined the subnet as /32 which means the host can only talk to itself.
Your next screenshot has /24 which means the host can talk to anyone who has an IP address in the range of 57.128.188.0-57.128.188.255 (less service addresses).
Your gateway is outside /24. I dont know what magic OVH does but you probably need to doublecheck your IP/network/GW.
I've also seen reports that you need to manually add the MAC address somewhere in the OVH management panel to be able to share Port with the hypervisor.
Additionally, if your PVE has the same IP as you assigned to the VM - thats wrong.

You may want to review already available resources on OVH/PVE combination. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNskWnaKVM
I dont know if this covers all the details you need

Last edited:
Reactions: UnixSu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!