Please Help - Installation of Proxmox 8.2 on a 2012 MacPro

MattRiley

Aug 22, 2024
I am trying to install Proxmox onto a 2012 Mac Pro that was given to me, and is considerably faster than the Lenovo p93 that I have Proxmox currently running on.
Every time I try and install proxmox using the iso > usb I get the error as shown in the photo below.
I have tried versions 7.4, 8.1 and 8.2 and get the same error, what am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.IMG_1874.jpg

Hi,

I'm guessing that this has to do with Apple's old/weird UEFI 1.x implementation - it's trimmed it for their uses and doesn't adhere much to any standard, at least on these older machines.

My best advice here would be trying to install Debian 12 and see if that works. Afterwards, you can relatively easy install Proxmox VE on top of Debian 12, which is also supported installation method.

Thank you for your help, I have successfully installed Debian 12, and I will go through that guide on installing Proxmox on top.

Reactions: esi_y
I have installed Proxmox following the guide above, and was able to access the Proxmox web interface, after a restart I have lost both network interfaces on the Macpro, it has dual Intel 82574L Gigabit connections, and as far as I can tell it has removed the driver when i removed the debian kernal as there is a green connection light on the switch when the mac starts up, bus as soon as grub loads proxmox the light goes out and there are no interfaces available. I have plugged in a Wireless USB dongle to get me access and for updates and to attempt to get drivers but after many hours i am still no closer.
Any thoughts?

I have installed Proxmox following the guide above, and was able to access the Proxmox web interface, after a restart I have lost both network interfaces on the Macpro, it has dual Intel 82574L Gigabit connections, and as far as I can tell it has removed the driver when i removed the debian kernal as there is a green connection light on the switch when the mac starts up, bus as soon as grub loads proxmox the light goes out and there are no interfaces available. I have plugged in a Wireless USB dongle to get me access and for updates and to attempt to get drivers but after many hours i am still no closer.
Any thoughts?

lspci -k should show you which driver is in use to begin with, you can also check dmesg what was going on with the NICs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!