pfSense VM freeze after latest update?

mcraven

Jan 17, 2024
Looking for some insight from other, more experienced, Proxmox community members. I have a v2.7.2 pfSense VM that has been running fine for a while now. Last night, I updated my node (non-subscription repository). After the update and reboot, this VM doesn't boot correctly. It begins to boot and then freezes before pfSense is up. The CPU is type was "x86-64-v2-aes" and the boot freeze went away when I changed to "host".

Interestingly, I have an v24.1.10 OPNsense VM also running on the same node (also with "x86-64-v2-aes" CPU type)... it boots normally after the update.

I'm happy to share more info but I'm wondering if there is a simple cause behind my issue.

It could be related to a recent kernel-update that was released on the no-subscription-channel:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/o...e-8-available-on-test-no-subscription.144557/
Have you checked what updates it installed during said update and if rolling back/pinning JUST the kernel (see that thread for how to do that) fixes the issue?

If it doesn't, have you tried any other cpu's beside v2 and host? Most of my systems are running on the v3 version (although I have neither pfsense, only opnsense, and am running on the enterprise-repo of course)

Have you checked what updates it installed during said update and if rolling back/pinning JUST the kernel (see that thread for how to do that) fixes the issue?

If it doesn't, have you tried any other cpu's beside v2 and host?
Well... the current system is running on 6.8.12-1 and was 6.8.8-2. I tried pinning back to 6.8.8-2. The freezing issue is present on both kernels. So, it appears that whatever is causing the issue was caused by another part of the update process. Interestingly, I tried creating a new VM with identical HW entries and starting a fresh pfSense install via v2.7.2 ISO and it seems to boot normally on the updated system WITH the x86-64-v2-AES CPU!

I even tried restoring the VM from an earlier backup... no dice. I'm attaching a screen shot of the locked screen when trying to boot VM with the x86-64-v2 CPU. It almost seems EFI related but I'm far from being an expert.

1723385942427.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!