Permissions

ejc317

Oct 18, 2012
So we're trying to build a panel and thinking about how to organize users. We understand pools may be the easiest way to do this but looking in pvesh, where does Proxmox keep track of which user controls what resources?

ie if I give a user access to a pool and he creates a VM in that pool, how does proxmox know only that user has access to that VM?

We did a pvesh get /nodes/nodeid/qemu

and the output doesn't show anything about who created it / has access to it?

We seem to be able to get everything else but that

ie if I give a user access to a pool and he creates a VM in that pool, how does proxmox know only that user has access to that VM?

Why do you think only 'that' user should have access to the VM? In a pool, all pool users have access.

If you want to controll access per user you need to setup permissions for that user.

Missed the point of my email. The focus is on the access not the user. I am ok with user or pool but the issue is how do I let them restore from a backup but not delete a backup? I want them to be able to do one of the following

1) backup a server to a drive specifically for backups (say px-backup) and then restore that backup to one of the storage drives (px-nodes). I can give them Datastore.AllocateSpace on both and Datastore.Allocate on the backup but this allows them to delete backups? any creative ideas here helpful

The goal here is to have a px-template drive whereby users can restore from that drive but cannot erase the templates. The only solution i have for this is to make the NFS share read-only from the nodes

Missed the point of my email. The focus is on the access not the user. I am ok with user or pool but the issue is how do I let them restore from a backup but not delete a backup? I want them to be able to do one of the following

Seems you talk about something else now - You did not even mention backup in the initial thread post.

You obviously talk about this thread now:

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/12811-Datastore-Allocate-vs-Datastore-AllocateSpace

I suggest that you do not open several threads for the same issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!