performance problem when running accel-pppoe server or mikrotik pppoe

hashbang

Jan 9, 2020
HI,
I few months back i installed MIkrotik CHR on proxmox. I got sluggish performance. When pppoe user got more than 700 or so the performance started degrading and complaints of no internet, ping drops etc. CPU resource just 20%. I thought its the problem with Mikrotik CHR. A week back I installed centos on the proxmox and installed accel-pppoe server I got the same problem on centos too. Is it vm is unable to handle so many pppoe interfaces or so. Kindly assist if it can be tuned or we have to install on stand alone centos
server : dell 720
xeon 2650 x 2
2 broadcom 10g cards + 4 intel 350
32g ram
V guest
16 cores
8gb
100gb
2 virtio network on 10g card
thanks

Hey, apparently no one tried your exact scenario.
Can you give a bit more information so we might be able to figure out what is causing these problems? Show the configuration of the VM. If you have performance monitoring show that. Do you see anything in the logs of the VM or the Proxmox VE host?

hi,
Its running a pppoe-server on centos 7 or Mikrotik routeros pppoe-server
VM settings are simple one with 2 virtio network adapters running on broadcom 10G ethernet controller. Nothing in logs. After putting it live just conntrack table full which was rectified by increasing max connection in conntrack. Just about to test on stand alone centos, will revert as soon as i complete tests.
Screenshot from 2020-01-27 14-58-44.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!