Performance Expectations

Erik Horn

Jul 25, 2024
I've been evaluating PBS and have found the throughput, especially for single vm restores to be lacking at 300MB/s. The server we are using is what we had available and not ideal for the task. Rather than spending a lot of time to try and make our evaluation system run faster I figured it would make more sense to ask what kind of performance numbers we could expect to get if we were to purchase a reasonable server for PBS?

My definition of reasonable would be a current-generation enterprise class server with a decent CPU, the recommended amount of ram, and SSDs for the OS and metadata. Main backup storage would be a dozen or more hard drives because 100's of TBs of enterprise class SSDs is silly expensive.

My biggest performance concern is the case of restoring a 10-20TB VM quickly after a disaster. In my testing, it appears that PBS doesn't parallelize individual VM tasks very well, which leads to large systems taking forever to complete.

Thanks,

Erik

Don't thought about snapshot or reflink restores of your vm's in seconds (for full restore "events") ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!