PCI-Passthrough, Marvell SATA controllers stopping me?

keithamus

Nov 11, 2012
I'm trying to get IOMMU working on my machine. When I enable it in GRUB and then reboot, my system no longer boots saying there are "DMAR request failures" on PCI 02:00.1 and 0e:00.1

When I boot up normally and do lspci I get the following:

Code:
02:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 9172 (rev 11)
0e:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9123 PCIe SATA 6.0 Gb/s controller (rev 11)

If you look closely you'll see these end in ".0", meanwhile the DMA errors where ending in ".1". Some pretty heavy googling says this is a problem with certain Marvell controllers, and from what I've read I *think* it's been fixed in a newer kernel, but I'm not sure which. I don't actually care if these two pci devices are enabled for passthrough, I really only want PCI passthrough on some TV tuners:

Code:
05:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors Device 7231 (rev aa)
06:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors Device 7231 (rev aa)

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone seen this error before, and managed to fix it?
2. Can anyone recommend workarounds, without replacing the hardware?

Hello keithamus!

I have exactly the same issue. Did you manage to solve it?

Regards Olle

Hey, sorry to disappoint but I still have this issue.

I dug a little deeper, I think it might be fixed in Linux kernels > 3.x, but I have yet to confirm by testing it. Mostly because Proxmox doesn't support 3.x kernels.

I might switch to OpenStack soon to see if that has the issue.

Hello!

Thanks for a fast reply. Yes, I also read somethning in a RH thread about this problem. I contiune to see if I can proof that it is a kerrnel problem.

Regards Olle

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!