PCI Passthrough error: Failed to set iommu.

Hellman_x

Oct 3, 2023
I have an HP DL360 G7 that I'm trying to pass a PCI device through (a PCI M.2 adaptor card for a Coral TPU)

When I try to start the VM I get the error:
Code:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:06:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10: vfio 0000:06:00.0: failed to setup container for group 33: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

I've done some searching and I found this thread that's not directly related to a Graphics card problem and is running close to the same platform as me. It looks like a kernel patch would be able to fix it but it was unable to, and my kernel for proxmox is currently 6.2.16-3-pve. So I guess it should be good already?

I've also checked the pseudofix in the GitHub page that was linked by one of the users, and to nobody's surprise, HPE requires a login to see the now non-existent document on their site for a possible fix. But the bulleted list on the GitHub page is mentioned for newer generation servers (8+).

So, does anyone have any ideas or solutions?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!