PBS on Multiple Networks

spetrillo

Feb 15, 2024
Hello all,

I have my PBS server on two networks, my mgmt vlan and my server vlan. My backup sources are on the server vlan. Can I configure PBS to use the server vlan for all backup related needs? I would hate if it goes out the mgmt vlan to get to the server vlan and back.

Thanks,
Steve

If I understand your question, you make this choice when you join the PBS to the PVE cluster.

In the dialog when you join PBS to the cluster, enter the PBS IP for the server vlan, not mgt.

If you do that, the cluster will only ever know the PBS through the server vlan. It will always talk on that vlan.

No PVE cluster at this time. PVE has a number of vlans configured but it too is on mgmt and server vlans obviously.

In order to use a PBS server with PVE, its the same process, cluster or no cluster.
In PVE, on the left, click on the Datacenter node.
In the middle, click Storage.
Add button -> Select Proxmox Backup Server.
Fill it out.
Get the fingerprint from the PBS server. (There's a button for it on the Dashboard page.)

For Server.VLAN.IP here ... Give it the server vlan IP. (Not the mgmt IP.)

Then the PVE server will only know about the PBS server via the IP on your server vlan.

1718572796808.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!