[SOLVED] PBS "export" backed up VMs to zst ?

mokaz

Nov 30, 2021
Hi all,

1st, sorry for my lack of knowledge on PBS, just setup a node, doing backups testings etc. So far so good =)
I've understood the "datastores", "name spaces" etc.. I've also gathered that backups are stored on "chunks" on the file system.

A quick question though, is there a way to "export" a given VM backup as a big .zst file? I've been used to the PVE backups and sometimes I thought it's been handy to just copy a VM as a zst on a restored or different PVE node and restore from a local repo etc..

Let me know,
thanks,
m.

No, thats not possible right now. But you don't have to copy a backup file, you could just add your PBS to multiple PVE nodes and then directly restore that VM from PBS to that node.

Reactions: mokaz
Hi there, thanks a lot for the update. My issue is somewhat about potential security gateways VMs that are on remote nodes and if these goes down so does their protected networks as well as PBS reachability.. Aynways, I'll check out what I'll do, perhaps play around with "remotes" as well to see what type of resilient architecture I could build.. In whole honesty, backing up is never really a problem, restoring is almost always a different story =)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!