PBS Datastore on iSCSI: any way to use special vdevs?

EdoFede

Nov 10, 2023
Hi all!

I am currently running some virtual machine using PVE on two node cluster, and I plan to implement backups using PBS inside a VM, with the datastore on an external storage (connected via iSCSI).
I've already used PBS on a physical old server with local ZFS storage, but I need to dismiss it. (just to tell that I got already some experience with PBS itself)

Proxmox recomends the use of special SSD vdevs on ZFS for PBS to accelerate things with spinning disks zpool, and I'm trying to figure out if and where this can be applied in my setup (which use spinning rust disks for PBS datastore).

The storage server for the datastore will be probably based on TrueNAS with raw disks management (so ZFS disk management), but not mandatory.

Since iSCSI exports block devices (which in this case will be a ZFS volume on TrueNAS side), the presence of NVMe SSDs as special device on TrueNAS side will improve performance for PBS operations, as if they were placed on a local (PBS-side) ZFS pool?

Alternative setup...
Storage server with MD raid, iSCSI LUN export, ZFS on PBS on top of the iSCSI mounted device....
In this case, however, to use special devices, I have to install NVMe direcly attached on a PVE node, mount on the VMs... so I lost the chance to migrate the PBS VM on the other node (And I would be without PBS if the PVE node it runs on fails...)

In any case I would like to avoid having a ZFS volume (on PBS) on top of another ZFS volume (on the storage server) to avoid huge write amplification and excessive slowness...

Trying to figure out if there's a way to implement this setup without sacrificing too much the backup performance.

I appreciate any advice or insights from the community, especially from those who may have a similar setup or have experience with TrueNAS, iSCSI, and special vdevs in a PBS environment.

Thank you in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!