PBS - Advice for our setup

pam

Mar 11, 2022
Hello,
we are using PBS as a main solution for our PVE environment.
Server has 220GB RAM and currently we have 8x 16TB SAS drive in RAID-10. Apart from that we have 4x 480GB SSD which are currently not used in the pool. I did some experimenting with partitioning and for slog l2arc and special device but it didn't seem to affect speed very much (most likely due to the partitioning ?).

I would like an opinion/advice on how to use these SSD drives the squeeze the most out of them for this kind of setup - my idea was mirrored special device - but i'll rather ask before adding device that cant be removed to my setup :).

Moreover, as you can see below, 8x 16TB drives are connected via SAS Port 1 ( controller is in HBA mode), and Port 2 is used for 4x480GB SSD.

What would be more effective layout given that I want to use those SSDs?. I know that 4x 16TB drive on each port with drives mirrored accross ports would be probably better - but it still doesnt sort out my issue with SSD. Or should I just get over it , use another controller for those SSDs and split my large drives equally across ports?

root@pbs4:~# zpool status pool: pvebackups state: ONLINE config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM pvebackups ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdb ONLINE 0 0 0 sdc ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-1 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdd ONLINE 0 0 0 sde ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-2 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdf ONLINE 0 0 0 sdg ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-3 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdi ONLINE 0 0 0 sdh ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors root@pbs4:~# ssacli ctrl slot=3 pd all show Smart Array P840 in Slot 3 (HBA Mode) HBA Drives physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:3 (port 1I:box 1:bay 3, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:4 (port 1I:box 1:bay 4, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:5 (port 1I:box 1:bay 5, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:6 (port 1I:box 1:bay 6, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:7 (port 1I:box 1:bay 7, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 1I:1:8 (port 1I:box 1:bay 8, SAS HDD, 16 TB, OK) physicaldrive 2I:2:1 (port 2I:box 2:bay 1, SATA SSD, 480 GB, OK) physicaldrive 2I:2:2 (port 2I:box 2:bay 2, SATA SSD, 480 GB, OK) physicaldrive 2I:2:3 (port 2I:box 2:bay 3, SATA SSD, 480 GB, OK) physicaldrive 2I:2:4 (port 2I:box 2:bay 4, SATA SSD, 480 GB, OK) root@pbs4:~#

I would like an opinion/advice on how to use these SSD drives the squeeze the most out of them for this kind of setup - my idea was mirrored special device
2x ssds are enough
I did some experimenting with partitioning and for slog l2arc and special device but it didn't seem to affect speed very much (most likely due to the partitioning ?).
the caching feature you normally not need for a backup server, but the special device is important for the metadata intensiv task of the pbs
use another controller for those SSDs and split my large drives equally across ports?
thats not neccessary, but when you upgrade with more drives you can connect them to the second port if you want

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!