Passthrough TrueNAS VM

moreramneeded

Sep 30, 2024
Created a TrueNAS VM. Before booting it, I want to passthrough storage.

My server has 4 HDD, which I configured in RAID10 when installing proxmox. This obviously created rpool, local, and local-zfs (im assuming local-zfs is a dataset within rpool?).

I created 3 datasets: Backups, ISO, and VM-Drives. (think these are self explanatory).

I created an Ubuntu VM, just to play around with.

I am now wanting to work on my first real project in my homelab, which is filesharing.

Downloaded TrueNAS iso and put it in the ISO dataset. Used that to create the VM. I used VM-Drives for the os boot drive.

I created a new dataset: NAS-storage.

I want to add this as a storage drive for the VM to recognize. Can't figure out how to do this.

I thought about adding each drive individually to the VM (as shown by countless youtubers), but everyone that i saw do this method was using drives that were not already configured in a zfs raid. So, i wasnt sure if this would mess things up.

I am sure there is a much better way to go about this and I am open to hearing those. Eventually I am going to wipe everything I have and build it back better from lessons learned along the way. In the meantime, is there a way to accomplish what I am trying. If so, how?

Hi!

I created a new dataset: NAS-storage.

You would need to elaborate further what you created and where.

Overall I would recommend you to put Proxmox VE on a separate disk (RAID1 is more than enough, the PVE configuration can be replaced quite easily) and pass through the drives directly to the VM for optimal disk performance - that's why you find those setups in the videos :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!