Terydan

Jun 9, 2024
I bought a ZimaCube Pro from IceWhale as it seemed a pretty good deal for 6 SATA drives and 4 NVME drives + 1 NVME boot drive and 10Gbe.

I am trying to move from an old Dell R720 that is just too loud, too power hungry, and can't transcode without dedicated gpu, which increases loudness and power draw, etc. I also have an external JBOD enclosure connected via SAS3008 controller that had an extra 4 drives in it with room for 4 more.

I moved 2 of the drives from the 8 bay server into JBOD to have 6 in the server and 6 in the JBOD to simulate the setup that I will have in the ZimaCube and all was well. I proceeded to move the 6 drives in the server to the SATA backplane of the ZimaCube, moved the SAS controller to the PCIe x4 port in the ZimaCube, and installed a fresh install of proxmox. Proxmox sees all the devices just fine. I then made a new VM for TrueNAS Scale. The ZimaCube uses a ASM1166 SATA Controller for the backplane so I passed it through to TrueNAS along with the SAS3008; I selected "All Functions" and "PCI-Express" check boxes. When I boot the VM it sees the SAS controller hard drives as scsi 0:0:0:0 through scsi 1:0:6:0, but it seems to see the backplane drives as ata7:00 through ata12:00 and is giving an error. (There are 7 drives on SAS controller because I added another)

1729572195001.png

Once TrueNAS is booted, the SAS controller and the ASM1166 SATA controller are recognized via "lspci", but only the drives from the SAS controller show up.

If I remove the SAS controller from PCI passthrough, it now detects all my drives on the ASM1166 as scsi 7:0:0:0 through scsi 12:0:0:0 and they all work.

1729572598583.png

Is there a way to passthrough both controllers so that all my drives show up in my TrueNAS VM? If I need to move this to the TrueNAS forums I can, but initial feeling is that it has to do with how I pass through the devices.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!