Passthrough Problem - kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.2, no available reset

Jan 9, 2012
I want to passthrough one of my two Onboard SATA-Controller's from Supermicro X10SAE Mainboard.
When i start the VM, i get this message:

kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.2, no available reset mechanism.
kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.2, no available reset mechanism.
TASK OK

With my Intel Mainboard DQ67SW this works fine without Errors.
Is this a Hardware or Software (Kernel?) Problem?

Re: Passthrough Problem - kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.2, no available r

If someone get such Messages, i would not recommend to use that Device for passthrough!
I had some Problems and crashes in my Tests with ZFS!

The Passthrough of my second onBoard-Sata-Controller (only 2-Port) works without Problems, here i get also no warnings when i start the VM, only "Task OK".

Re: Passthrough Problem - kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.2, no available r

Hi,
I think this is a Hardware failure.
I have the same behavior with an Asus board with a PIKE card on Hyper-v ESX and KVM.

Without Passthrough, this Controller works without any Problems now.
I think it is a Passthrough-Problem. My Experiences about that: Some work, some do not.

For Passthrough you must have vt-d.
I think some boards do not implement this correct, but i really don't know.

Yes i know, it's activated and it works.
Passthrough of the second SATA-Controller (2-Port ASMEDIA), the onBoard-Audio, one of the onBoard-USB3 Controller and a DVB-S2 PCIe Card works without Problems with this Board, only the 6-Port onBoard SATA-Controller have this Issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!