[SOLVED] Parallel cloning

jan.svoboda

Jun 11, 2020
Hello,

is there any way for parallel cloning of VMs on the same storage? Unfortunately, it seems that cloning a VM locks whole storage and it is impossible to clone another VM at the same time due to the lock.
I have Proxmox 6.2 nodes with shared storage (GlusterFS).

Thank you.

Hi,
no this is not possible. Locking is needed to ensure that the base volume is not deleted and that there is no naming conflict for the new volume.

Is there at least any possibility to check whether the storage is locked via REST API? In REST API documentation I can't see request to locks.

Not via the REST API, but you can check whether the directory storage-<storeid> exists in /etc/pve/priv/lock/. You should see it, while there is a clone operation running.

Sorry to asking again, but is there any way for parallel cloning on a shared GlusterFS storage? It would be really helpful for me.
Couldn't be a way for parallel cloning to mount a GlusterFS storage on each node via fstab instead of PVE daemon?

When creating full clones we actually already allow doing multiple ones in parallel. We only lock during allocating the image, not during copying. With linked clones we lock during the whole operation, but normally those should be finished quickly (since not much should need to be copied). How long does a linked clone operation take for you? How big and what format are the disks involved?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!