Package update notifs not working

konstanz

Feb 7, 2024
Hi, I'm having issues with the notification system. "package-updates" is enabled with match severity of "info" but I am not getting email notifications. The notification target is SMTP and notifs for backup jobs work. (no subscription)

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Hello,

could you share your /etc/pve/notifications.cfg?

Thanks!

Hello,

could you share your /etc/pve/notifications.cfg?

Thanks!

Hi,

Here you go:
Code:
smtp: smtp
    from-address noreply@domain.tld
    mailto user@domain.tld
    mailto-user root@pam
    mode tls
    port 465
    server smtp.server
    username smtpusername

matcher: backups
    match-field exact:type=vzdump
    match-severity error
    mode all
    target smtp

matcher: package-updates
    comment package updates
    match-field exact:type=package-updates
    match-severity info
    mode all
    target smtp
Thanks.

Hi,
do you have the notify setting in your /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg set properly? See man 5 datacenter.cfg for details.

Thanks for bringing my attention to this issue, there indeed exists a small bug regarding package update notifications that happened during the transition between the old and the new notification system.

Seems like package update notifications are still affected by the old configuration key in /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg . During the migration to the new notification system, the GUI to manipulate this setting was removed, but the key is still used when deciding whether to send a notification at all.
For now, you can enable the update notifications using the following command:
Code:
pvesh set /cluster/options --notify package-updates=always

Reactions: fiona
Hi,
do you have the notify setting in your /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg set properly? See man 5 datacenter.cfg for details.

No I do not. Since this is a fresh install with the new notifications system, I used that one from the beginning. It seems I have to still use the datacenter.cfg file though, thanks!

Thanks for bringing my attention to this issue, there indeed exists a small bug regarding package update notifications that happened during the transition between the old and the new notification system.

Seems like package update notifications are still affected by the old configuration key in /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg . During the migration to the new notification system, the GUI to manipulate this setting was removed, but the key is still used when deciding whether to send a notification at all.
For now, you can enable the update notifications using the following command:
Code:
pvesh set /cluster/options --notify package-updates=always

OK, thank you!

Hello,

Is there an equivalent command to pvesh in Proxmox Backup Server? Notifications for package updates doesn't work either.

Thank you

Hello,

Is there an equivalent command to pvesh in Proxmox Backup Server? Notifications for package updates doesn't work either.

Thank you
I can't help you directly with this command, but one question/tip:
Does your PBS-Installation have an active subscription?
As it says in the documentation [1], and is similarly so for PVE, only when the installation has a subscription and is deemed production-ready, will it send out notifications (by default/without changing things).

[1] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/notifications.html#notification-events

I can't help you directly with this command, but one question/tip:
Does your PBS-Installation have an active subscription?
As it says in the documentation [1], and is similarly so for PVE, only when the installation has a subscription and is deemed production-ready, will it send out notifications (by default/without changing things).

[1] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/notifications.html#notification-events
Thank you for your answer,

No, I do not have an active subscription for PBS at the moment. As stated in the documentation:

"The daily task checking for any available system updates only sends notifications if the node has an active subscription."

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!